2008 State Champions

2008 5A DII Texas State Football Champions

Katy Tigers win second straight title, 17-3

Written by KHOU Staff

HOUSTON – Katy used a suffocating defense and a power offense to take its second consecutive high football championship, beating Wylie 17-3 in the Class 5A, Division II title game.

The Tigers won their sixth state title overall and fifth in the last 11 years. It was their first-ever back-to-back state crowns and was their ninth time to play in the overall and eighth since 1994. They are now 6-3 all-time in state title games, including the 1959 Class A victory.

Will Jeffery was named the game’s offensive Most Valuable Player, racking up 142 yards on 22 carries.

Led by linebacker Sebi Carbajal who won the defensive MVP, the defense was dominating, holding Wylie to 233 yards total, 67 on the ground.

Carbajal was in on three sacks and Pirate quarterback Jerod Monk was running for his life most of the game.

“That’s the Katy defense,” Carbajal said. “We knew we just had to go back to basics. We were aggressive and we got turnovers.”

Defensive back Sam Holl added, “We knew we had to get them off the field in a hurry We were ready for them. We had the best practices all year last week.”

Coach Gary Joseph agreed. “We had great practices this week,” Joseph said. “The kids were focused. This was just a great group of kids who played together. They didn’t have any superstars, but they played their hearts out.”

Aided by a key personal foul call late in the second quarter, the Katy Tigers took a 10-0 lead.

Michael Webber scored on a 5-yard jaunt up the middle with 1:08 left in the second quarter to put the Tigers up 10-0.

The score capped a 52-yard, eight-play drive that was kept alive by a key penalty call.

After forcing Katy quarterback Parker Ray to throw an incomplete pass on first-and-20 at the Wylie, 43-yard line, the Pirates’ Jared Ball was flagged for a personal foul and ejected from the game. Replays showed the linebacker throwing a punch at Tigers back Will Jeffrey. The penalty gave Katy the ball with first-and-10 at the Wylie 28-yard line. Four plays later, Webber hit paydirt.

Katy put the game out of reach for good with Webber’s 34-yard run with 6:35 remaining in the third quarter. The Tigers went up 17-0.

With the Pirates marching toward the end zone and only a 3-0 early in the first, Caleb Chandler grabbed a Monk pass at the 12-yard line, and set up the Tigers at the 31-yard line. The interception killed the Pirates’ momentum.

Then, late in the third, Katy’s Van Atwood intercepted Monk again at the Tigers’ 32-yard line and returned it to the Wylie 42, stopped one of the Pirates’ few chances to cut into a 17-3 lead.